Stay In Your Lane
Guest Writer: Rev. R. Darnell Dyson
Often times, the very thing that causes us to not be effective in our race for life, is the fact that many of us are willing to hold on to the things that restrict our progress. Isn’t it interesting that you will never find a person who’s a track runner, running with a three-piece suit on. Here’s one reason why…When a track runner in on the track, there’s a certain level of wind resistance. Anything that the wind can “catch hold” to will ultimately slow the runner down.
The same is true for our spiritual race. If we want to make the proper progress in our race we have to forfeit the things that the “winds of life” can use to slow us down. It could be friends, family, habits, mindsets as well as our own – FAITHLESSNESS!
The Bible has a variety of words that it uses to describe life. One of which is “race”. The context in which these verses teach does not imply speed in a competition, rather endurance. Let’s us consider Philippians 2:16 –
- “holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain.” If one simply wins a race on speed alone he or she might be tempted to gloat. But think of a long-distance runner who just won a 15 lap race. It’s safe to say, that person might be more humble from enduring it to the end.
Are we in the condition for the race of life? In order to answer this question let’s consider another passage;
- Hebrews 12: 1-2 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
There we see three key factors that will assist us in getting in the proper condition for running.
The text shows us that we must:
- Be willing to forfeit some of things in life that hinder us.
- We must be faithful in our race.
- We must have the correct focus to run our face.
If we can lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnare us we will be able to run with patience (endurance) the race that is set before us. And as we run we must always keep our eyes on Jesus who is the author and finisher of our faith, then and only then will we be able to hear Him say to all those who run . . . WELL DONE.
ARE YOU READY TO RUN?
Rev. R. Darnell Dyson is the Sr. Pastor of The Greater Faith Baptist Church in Los Angeles, Ca. He takes extreme pride in making the Word of God clear and applicable to those who are blessed to hear him as he articulates God’s Word to God’s people. With his deep love for those who have been overlooked and stepped over, he does everything that he can to ensure that all of God’s people know that God has a plan for them! Rev. Dyson has a Master’s Degree in Theological Studies. He is a proud husband and father.